Tuesday, February 10, 2009

All good things.....

Well - all good things must come to an end. Rheagan's team got beat tonight for only their second loss of the year. We finished second in our tournament with a final record of 22-2. I won't bore you with all I'd like to share about this season so here are my top 5 highlights:

1. Having the chance to coach Rheagan. She's got more aggression, heart, desire, and talent than most her age. She really is fun to watch and I look forward to many years in the stands. (with my mouth shut)

2. Rheagan hitting the last second shot against North Lee in overtime for the victory. Nothing like having your own daughter hit the shot against her biggest rival and run to you for "the hug". Time could have stood still for me.

3. Having a chance to coach with Kathy and Shelley. Kathy and I have coached together since our girls were 5. Shelley played for me at CHS. We all get along so well and know that the girls are our number one focus. We've never put one player as more important than another.

4. Finishing the regular season undefeated. 19 games. 380 game minutes. 11 different gyms. UNTOUCHED.

5. Seeing the look on DD's face when she got a trophy tonight. She will probably NEVER get another trophy in her life. She is the reason I do this - for the smiles, high fives, girly-shrills, hugs, and being called mom on more than one occasion. I am humbled when I see DD's precious, innocent, and gorgeous smile. She'll sleep with her trophy and bring it to school - guaranteed.

I pray each of the girls will have the love for the game when they are in middle school and beyond. I tried to make practices fun and full of fundamentals. Games were intense with a dash of excitement. Thanks to each of them for a great season.

3 comments:

Mary Helen said...

Great job, Coach! Your team was a joy to watch.

Love you, MOM

Anonymous said...

Karen, it was a real joy to watch your team improve from game to game. I have never enjoyed watching a team play as much as this one, and I have watched a lot of teams over the years. Your tender loving fundamental coaching techniques were exactly what these girls needed. It's no wonder that any team you are a part of is a WINNER!

Shawn Virginia said...

Awww... you're such a great coach (and mom!) :-)